mercredi 31 août 2016

[Review] Choetech USB-C Accessories (wireless charger, car charger) & Note 7

Disclaimer: I was sent these items in exchange for my fair and unbiased review
It's been a while since I've posted a review here because I've been rather busy, so without further ado here's a short simple review of some new(er) products I was sent.

Choetech USB A-C "flat" TPE cable 2-Pack (Black/white)
I was looking for a cable to replace the fabled OnePlus A-C cables that were out of spec thus were returned last year; Choetech sent me these, and to say the least I was excited.
First, let's talk about the design at hand. Each cable features a nice aluminum end on both sides with Choetech branding giving it quality (premium is overused) feel alongside the flat region housing the wire. The metal ends will show wear faster than plastic because metal scratches, and I'm fine with that. I appreciate the longer length (1.2[m] i.e. 4[ft]) giving you more flexibility for their intended usage. I've used the black cable quite a bit since first receiving it, so I will post a few pictures showing how it wears overtime down below. The flat region of the cable has a nice feel to it coupled with the solid connections where the metal meets the TPE. I don't feel like these will pull apart, or break anytime soon, so I'm happy with their build. Each cable also has the proper 56k [ohm-m] resistor for the Nexus 6P as it should at this point in the game.
Now, if I had to be picky there is one small issue I experience (rather it's how the cable is made). Each cable doesn't have a perfectly flat, uniform, or even area where the TPE (flat area) meets the metal; I'm a little OCD about these things. With that being said there is no issue with the cable's functionality since that is merely a cosmetic nitpick that I personally have. In the end I would happily buy these cables as a gift, or another lot for myself given how much I've been using them.






Choetech 33W USB-C & QC 3.0 Type-A Enabled Car Charger

I own many car chargers, but as of lately I don't use them because my new car has Android Auto. I recently decided to keep this particular one in my car because sometimes my wife wants to charge her phone, or I just need to have a secondary charging solution for my other phones (Note 7 and S7 Edge). Choetech did something I appreciate here: there is a proper dedicated USB-C port for the Nexus 6P/5X that will output only 5V/3A as it should. The other port is a dedicated QC 3.0 output for all of your other phones like in my case the two Samsung phones.


On the build side you will find a typical glossy plastic body with a matte black back featuring Choetech's logo, and the ports. There is a blue light that let's you know when you're charging, or when the charger is plugged into your car correctly. The included cable is also quite nice, and will give your Nexus 6P 1.5A from the QC 3.0 legacy port, but if you want to rapidly charge the phone, then you will need a USB C-C cable. It's nice to be able to charge my Nexus 6P and Note 7/S7 Edge rapidly from the same car charger since most of them don't support the proper USB-C PD standard on at least 1 port.

Ports:
USB-C: 5V 3A
QC 3.0: 3.6-5.5V 2.4A (max)
5.6-9V 2A (max)
9.1-12V 1.5A (max)






In the box:
Choetech 33W Dual port car charger (USB-C and QC 3.0)
USB A-C cable


Overall I keep this charger in my center console as a backup, I just wish it also came with a USB C-C cable for when I want to rapidly charge my Nexus 6P. I own a ton of C-C cables, but not everyone does, so for that reason I hope Choetech includes both cables in the future even if it means adding a few $$ to the price because everyone will benefit from that.
A USB C-C at 5V/3A does seem to still charge the Note 7 'fast' as well according to the phone, but it won't be as fast as using a QC2.0/3.0 port like the one on Choetech's other car chargers.


Choetech 30W QC 3.0 Enabled Car Charger
Choetech was nice enough to send me another variant of the car charger I review above. This particular one features two standard USB-A ports instead of a USB-C and USB-A as I wrote about in another review.
The build is identical to Choetech's other current generation car chargers which is a good thing. On the outside you will find glossy plastic wrapped around seamlessly with a matte black front accented by a blue LED to let you know it has power. The included cable will allow you to quick charge your Note 7 via QC 2.0 since that's the standard Samsung went with instead of QC 3.0 (same as the Note 7 & S7/S7 Edge).



Ports:
USB 1: 5V 2.4A
QC 3.0: 3.6-5.5V 2.4A (max)
5.6-9V 2A (max)
9.1-12V 1.5A (max)








Choetech Water Resistant pouch
Water resistant pouches might not get a second look given the Note 7's IP68 rating, but I know some people tend to forget what that actually means. The IP68 certification is conducted using fresh water NOT salt water, brine, or anything else you might encounter using a phone. This pouch will help give you an added level of protection especially when out at the beach, or in situations where you might encounter other potentially harmful fluids.





I tested the pouch with my Nexus 6P, and it fit in there without any issues; since the Nexus 6P is larger than my Note 7, or S7 Edge you shouldn't have any issues fitting the phone while using a thin fitting case.
Inserting the phone is also simple, all you need to do is 'roll' the two plastic locking retainers at the top, plop your phone in, and close them. This process might take a little getting used to because they need to be properly aligned before the tabs will latch down correctly. I only had a minor hiccup with this my first time messing around, after that it was a breeze to throw my phone in there.







Overall I intend on keeping this pouch in my work bag because I encounter fluids that would likely destroy my Note 7 on a daily basis, so the use of a pouch would still help mitigate/prevent damage.

Choetech 10W Fast Wireless Charger W/USB-C Input
I've written about my previous experiences with a variety of wireless chargers from just about every well-known company (Samsung, LG, TYLT, Meenova, Tronsmart, Choetech etc..), yet all of those lacked one key thing USB-C. Yes, I know people are probably thinking "that's a new standard, and I don't want to switch" or whatever other comment that may cross his/her mind. I think the biggest/best thing to happen in the past year is the increased adoption of the USB-C standard; this includes wireless chargers too!
Although Choetech is not the first company to make a USB-C wireless charger (Samsung made one, or at least planned to in Russia) the mass market availability of this one makes it better.



Design:
As with most wireless chargers you won't find any over the top odd ball design here, but rather a simple 3.5inx3.5in square that houses sheer happiness in the form of wireless charging. Choetech opted for a 3-coil charger meaning you can place the phone easier with less headache aligning the coils between your phone/charger. I found placement to be very simple, and not require and readjustments once you know where your phones coil is (usually centered in the back).
The charger has a nice little LED that adjusts its brightness based on the ambient light based on my understanding. At night the LED will glow at a much lower level so it won't bother you while your phone is on your nightstand. Another great feature of the LED is its ability to light up in a different color for fast charging than in standard charging. Slow or standard charging will appear as a solid blue LED, while fast or rapid charging will be a green LED. This allows you to quick see the status of your phones charge (it also notifies you in a way if your phone is charged) making it all the more convenient.








In the Box:

Choetech 10W Fast Wireless Charger
USB A-C charging cable
User Manual
Contact information

Unlike previous chargers Choetech made this one will work using the stock Samsung wall adapter without any issues due to the higher efficiency of this model. I tested mine using the Stock Samsung wall charger, a Choetech QC 3.0 charger, Choetech 6 port QC 3.0 charging hub, HTC QC 3.0 charger, and a Choetech QC 3.0 external 10400mAh battery pack without any issues.

Slow Charging


Fast Charging


Overall:

Choetech made a compelling and bold move over to USB-C for their latest wall charger in a market of old styled MicroUSB power units. This alone makes the charger worth buying, but when you factor in the small footprint, nice high quality plastic build, and versatility (works with just about any QC 2.0 or above wall adapter), then you have an excellent fast wireless charger.

Choetech Note 7 Wallet Folio

I tend to own a plethora of case for every phone, and the Note 7 is no exception to that trend. This is my second folio case for it so far even though I'm really not a big fan of them at all. The case holds 2 cards in the folio section, although I really can't advise anyone actually putting any in there because it cases the case to become overly thick along with keeping the flap from resting properly. A lot of folios will use some sort of magnetic, or other closure mechanism to keep the case shut, unfortunately there isn't any such one on this case. The material is a sort of pleather (feels somewhat nice) as is expected on most non-premium cases out there.



Ports:
Choetech kept all of the bottoms ports fully open which can be a good or bad thing depending on what you're looking for. Most folio cases offer some degree of screen protection, but usually aren't intended to really take a drop like conventional TPU cases are. The design of the inner shell that houses the phone is akin to what Samsung did with theirs, so I can't say it's a particular good or bad thing. I work both in an office, and out in the field, so having a crucial part of my phone exposed is less than ideal, with that being said the bottom cutout will affect everyone's needs differently.








Volume/Power Buttons:

All of the buttons have cut outs that give you ample room to press the buttons when the folio is open. On the other hand, when you close the case it makes pressing the volume keys harder because you have to push around on the side to figure out where they are.

Overall:
There are some fairly large issues with this case including the lack of a closure mechanism (something to keep it shut), hard to find volume buttons when the folio is closed, along with the exposed bottom area which will affect everyone differently. Aside from these issues I can't say it's a particularly bad case, or a good one it just falls somewhere in the middle.


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/2cghqHo
via IFTTT

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire